Wednesday, December 15, 2010

RPG Mod Started!

After a good bit of thinking and research, I dove into code today and got my first "plugin" written!

This plugin is eventually meant to be a general framework for turning Minecraft into an RPG-style game.

This will include a class system, experience points, and some sort of "magic points" for ability use.

Right now, the first thing I wanted to play with was creating a magic wand. It was super easy!

My first try, I hooked up the "boom" spell from the really-fun "MagicSpells" plugin. Basically, I made it so that whenever you swing a stick (your wand), it casts "boom" at whatever you're aiming at.

Wow, it was fun! But, oh-so dangerous. And I'm still not convinced that "boom" behaves well with Cuboid permissions- something I'd need to fix before I let any dark wizards loose on my server...

Anyway, I quickly changed the wand to cast "blink" instead, making it a super handy teleport tool.

I'm considering how best to approach this- obviously I want different spells to be assignable to a wand- but I could also use a unique item for each spell, reservering wand for the assignable one. Not sure. In any case, I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

1 comment:

  1. Just added a command to my plugin:

    /wand : binds a command to your wand
    /wand : unenchant your want

    Then, left-clicking with a wand (stick) issues the bound command.

    Works great!

    ReplyDelete